Volunteer with Us!
Thanks for considering assisting with our programs. Here is some info for you and anyone who wishes to volunteer to hopefully assist you with making your decision.
Most people think that The Banque d’aliments Sudbury Food Bank hands out food to individual who require it. This is not correct. The BDSFB is an umbrella organization that collects and distributes food to it 44 member agencies throughout the Sudbury Region. These members are geographically set up in our region so we can assist everywhere. This way the food gets to the folks that need it in their home communities
Some of the Member Agencies that receive food/funds from BDSFB include The Elgin Street Mission, The Salvation Army, The Infant Food Bank, The Independent Living Centre and Sudbury’s Colleges and University. Along with food banks throughout the City of Sudbury we also support food banks in Espanola, Markstay, Capreol, Levack and Onaping, Coniston, Garson, Hanmer, Chelmsford, and Lively.
On average, over 11,000 people each month, use the services of one of our member agencies. More than half of these people are children who are using our services either through a food bank or through a breakfast program or after school program in their school.
If you would like to volunteer with a front-line service agency or food bank you can find contact information for our member agencies under the “Find a Food Bank or Meal Provider” option on the menu at the top of every page of our website, including this one. Unfortunately, you will have to contact individual agencies or food banks to find out their volunteer needs and procedures.
If you’d like to volunteer with us here are some things you should know:
- We are currently located at 1105 Webbwood Drive (off Lorne Street).
- Our hours of operation are 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday. There are occasionally events in the evening or on weekends where volunteers are required.
- Events usually involve one day or a few hours unless you volunteer on an organizing committee for a specific event you are interested in.
- Being an Organizing Committee Member, for a specific event, can require many hours of volunteer time, but the personal reward to committing to an individual event and seeing it come to a successful conclusion is great!
- There is no specific times or days that we expect our volunteers to come in. Most volunteers decide when they will come in and how long they wish to work. We try to accommodate to the best of our ability and the needs of the organization. What we do require is once your commitment is made that you come in for those hours please.
There are a wide variety of volunteer duties that we could use help with:
- Sorting canned and dry goods. This involves checking for expiry dates, dents, rust and sorting according to category. (This is our main need)
- Lifting or moving heavy boxes.
- Loading and unloading of boxes from vehicles.
- Moving pallets of food using lift jacks.
- Answering of phones and taking messages.
- Cleaning offices, kitchen and bathrooms.
- Clerical duties such as stuffing envelopes.
- Sweeping and washing of warehouse floors.
- Seasonal work such has working in the Community Gardens, mowing grass or clearing snow, cleaning trucks etc.
If you have further questions please give our office a call at 705-671-9663.
Thanks again for considering giving some of your valuable time to BDSFB. We look forward to hearing from you!